At Armfield Academy, we recognise the importance that reading has in the life of a child and an adult. We work hard to ensure all children are provided with sequenced learning opportunities that provide a depth and progression of knowledge and skills enabling all to become skilled and confident readers through a rigorous reading provision within school. It is our aim to ensure all children leave school capable readers of fiction, non-fiction and poetry with a lifelong love and enjoyment of reading.
By the end of each phase, it is our intention that pupils are able to:
- read with purpose, confidence, fluency and understanding
- have an interest in books and read for pleasure
- use books and what they have read to influence their imaginations and develop their writing style
- have an interest in words and their meanings; developing a growing vocabulary in spoken and written forms
- understand a range of text types and genres
- display their understanding of different texts both verbally and in written form
- achieve in line with national averages
As part of giving children a broad and rich approach to reading, we provide the children opportunities that will give them knowledge of how to succeed in life, giving them opportunities they may not otherwise be exposed to. Some of these opportunities include:
- Visits from authors throughout the year
- Visits to the local libraries and book shops
- Involvement in days such as World Book Day
- Working alongside the Literacy Trust via the #GetBlackpoolReading initiative
- Working alongside the National Literacy Trust to run Book Clubs, and engage in further opportunities e.g. live author events
- Running a daily ‘book swap’
- Working alongside the English Hub with a focus on developing reading for pleasure.
Above all, we value the quality of our reading curriculum (which follows the national curriculum) and its implementation, as this will ensure pupils are given the optimum opportunity to take advantage of opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life.
The Reading Journey can be viewed by clicking HERE.