Structure of the Academy Council
The Academy Council shall have the following members:
|Type of Member
||Term of Office
|Executive Principal/Designated NLE
||Appointment as Executive Principal by FCAT Board
|Head of School
||Appointment as Head of School by FCAT Board
||Up to 5
||Appointment by FCAT Board with reference to the skills matrix following an interview process
||Staff election – secret ballot to be organized by Academy in line with the Election Policy
||Parent election – secret ballot to be organized by Academy in line with the Election Policy
|Clerk to the Academy Council
||Indefinite – to be reviewed by FCAT Board on an annual basis
||Appointment by FCAT Board
The Chair and Vice-Chair will be appointed by the FCAT Board.
A Governor shall cease to hold office by resignation, removal or disqualification in line with the Articles of Association. The Academy Council may establish sub-committees as it sees fit, however, the delegated authorities will remain with the Academy Council.
Academy Council Terms of Reference
Full Academy Council
Members of the Academy Senior Management Team as required/
||Chair of the Academy Council
||50% of the Academy Council rounded up, of which at least two must be Sponsor Governors
||FCAT will appoint a Clerk at the beginning of each academic year
||At least half-termly (six times per academic year)
|Method of Reporting to FCAT:
||Minutes of Academy Council meetings will be submitted to the FCAT Board of Directors after circulation to the Academy Council Governors
|Overall Purpose of the Academy Council:
To monitor and advise FCAT on the following:
- The leadership of the Academy, ensuring high standards of learning and teaching and that all students make adequate progress.
- The Academy’s policies relating to finance, human resources and premises issues.
- The effectiveness of these policies and to recommend changes as appropriate.
- The appropriateness and efficiency of the extended services at the Academy provided to the community.
- The Academy’s policies in relation to the curriculum and student welfare, behaviour and discipline.
- The effectiveness of these policies, including their contribution to raising standards, recommending changes as appropriate.
- Any other matter as may be required by the FCAT Board of Directors.
In carrying out all its responsibilities the Council must act:
- In accordance with any general principles set by FCAT;
- In partnership with the Principal;
- In accordance with statutory requirements.
|Terms of Reference:
B. HUMAN RESOURCES
- To receive the FCAT Responsible Officer’s report on the adequacy and correctness of the Academy Accounting Systems, in accordance with the DfE requirements and submit findings to FCAT;
- To monitor the implementation of FCAT Financial Regulations and report to FCAT;
- To draft the Academy budget in line with the priorities determined by FCAT and set out in the Academy’s approved Development Plan (including financial plan) and any post-inspection action plan;
- To monitor the Academy budget and report to FCAT Directors.
- To monitor personnel policies and procedures, including those relating to appointment of staff, health and safety, performance management, pay, discipline, grievance, capability and determining that staff should cease to work at the Academy in line with the delegated authorities detailed in the Scheme of Delegation;
- To advise FCAT on such policies and procedures;
- To recommend changes to the staffing complement or structure to secure the best outcomes for students.
D. CURRICULUM RESPONSIBILITIES
- To monitor the condition of the Academy’s premises;
- To consider options for building improvements and/or new developments within the needs and priorities identified in the Asset Management Plan;
- To monitor Health and Safety compliance and report concerns to FCAT;
- To make recommendations to FCAT for spending the Academy’s capital funding.
E. STUDENT BEHAVIOUR AND WELFARE
- To monitor the implementation of FCAT’s Curriculum Policies e.g. Religious Education.
- To review FCAT’s policy on sex education, its implementation and its impact on a regular basis.
- To review FCAT’s policy on the identification, assessment and provision for students with special educational needs, its implementation and its impact on a regular basis.
- To govern admissions and exclusions in accordance with the appropriate regulations.
To monitor the effectiveness of the Academy’s Behaviour Policy and procedures. The monitoring should include regular consideration of a report from the Principal on behaviour at the Academy, including:
- Patterns of attendance/persistent absence;
- Patterns in the exclusion;
- Progress in relation to any performance indicators or targets set by the behaviour policy (including indicators of positive behaviour).
To ensure that the Academy:
- Designates a member of staff to be responsible for co-ordinating child protection and responsibility for Looked After Children within the Academy and for liaising with other agencies, including the Local Authority Safeguarding Children Board, and to receive appropriate training;
- Monitors FCAT’s policy on child protection in accordance with statutory requirements, DfE advice and the requirement of the procedure of the Safeguarding Board;
- Communicates the policy to all staff and parents;
- Monitors the policy regularly.